Friday, May 24, 2013

"Thank You for Supporting the Mission in the Dominican Republic"

I want to say thank you for the wonderful retirement celebration on the eve of the Electing Convention, and for the money that was collected for the mission work in the Dominican Republic – $8,500. This money will be used for the building of San Simon Church and School – a mission project we share with the Episcopal Dioceses of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan (click here to go to the D.R.E.A.M. website).

I’ve seen in some of our own communications that the San Simón mission is described as being located in “a suburb of Puerto Plata called San Marcos.”

To describe it as a suburb doesn’t do it justice. The people there are very poor. The church they’re using now is a small cinder block garage that they’ve converted. The area is a pocket of extreme poverty, and the church and school that’s being build will provide a better education for the children than the Dominican Republic schools can. 

All the children will be required to study English. The church and school will serve as a hurricane shelter that will be sturdy against the inevitable winds and floods that come each year.

The main thing I want to say about the electing convention is that I trust the work of the Holy Spirit as the People of God gather in community to worship, pray and vote. I trust that the Holy Spirit is already at work forming Bishop-elect Hougland and the Diocese of Western Michigan, and that great contributions to the kingdom of God are waiting to unfold as Bishop and Diocese work together.

Saturday at the convention, I could watch the movement of the Spirit, as the votes began to change. 

It is now time for me to decrease my presence with you, and for Bishop-elect Hougland to increase as he prepares to lead the diocese into the waiting future. You have elected well.

I talked to him on the phone late Saturday afternoon and offered my prayers and my support, as well as my assistance in any way that will help benefit him in the transition.


I’m happy to begin to welcome Whayne and Dana Hougland to the Diocese of Western Michigan because I am sure there are great things in store, and I look forward to watching them unfold.

Bishop's Book Recommendation:Wisdom from the Monastery: a Program of Spiritual Healing, by Peter Sewald

No comments:

Post a Comment