Thursday, January 17, 2013

An Open Letter to my Successor


Dear Successor:

As I approach the end of my episcopacy and as the Diocese of Western Michigan moves toward the electing convention on May 18, 2013, I want to assure you of my support and intention to make as healthy a leadership transition as possible.  I am publishing this letter to you now, before I even know who you are, because I believe with all my heart that the Holy Spirit is at work in our process and that you are the person God has chosen to call here to lead this diocesan community into future mission and ministry for the sake of God’s kingdom.  I only hope that I have laid a sufficient foundation to enable you and the people here to soar to new and exciting highs in proclaiming and living the Gospel of Jesus Christ as Episcopalians.
Historically, we have not always made the best leadership transitions possible.  It is for this reason and because I have grown to love this diocese that I make the following pledge to you:
  •  I will not hang around.  I believe leaders must leave in order for successors to be able to fully claim their leadership.  To that end I will be moving to Pennsylvania.
  • After leaving, I will not enter the diocese for any reason without notifying you and gaining your permission, per the canons of The Episcopal Church. 
  •  I will review with you current and past cases involving clergy discipline and the progress of parishes with a plan for restoring congregational health.
  • I will honestly answer any and all questions you may have with the goal of being as transparent as possible concerning all aspects of diocesan life.
  • I will not tolerate any whining or griping or negative talk which may come my way, because it undermines leadership and poisons good work.
  •  Following your election, I will see to it that my role in the diocese becomes smaller so that your leadership can begin to grow.
  •  I will be present at your consecration liturgy, and it will be my great honor to give you the diocesan crozier, as well as the Prayer Book that our first bishop, Bishop Gillespie, used and left for all of his successors.
  • I will make myself available to you at any time following your consecration should you want any additional information.
  • As a way of preparing for your episcopacy, I will initiate clergy conversations regarding their role in relationship to you as their bishop.  I will do the same with the people of the diocese as we gather for our annual “Leadership Days” and with staff at our weekly meetings.
  • I will hold you before God in prayer each day as I have already begun doing.
I am looking forward to meeting you and welcoming you as you begin your ministry of oversight in Western Michigan.  I know that God has great things in store for you and the diocesan community.  

Sincerely,
Robert R. Gepert
VIII, Western Michigan

No comments:

Post a Comment