Thursday, December 13, 2012

Upon My Return from Sabbatical

The word sabbatical means literally a ceasing. Though the concept of a sabbatical has been largely adopted by academia, sabbatical originates from within the church, where clergy in cathedrals were given a hiatus which lasted two months to a year.

I want to thank the diocese for the gift of my sabbatical, from which I returned this week.

Before I left, I was not so much tired as I was weary.

I learned that it’s nice to be Bob Gepert. Bob Gepert is defined by things other than bishop. The things that I really want to be remembered for are being a husband and a father. A child of God. A spiritual person.

At the same time, I love the diocese.

I’m seeing more opportunities to change the story, and I will be sharing some of my ideas in the coming months.
I think for me, some of the problems in the diocese had taken on a life of their own, preventing me from seeing the church at work in healthy ways. I have a different perspective now.

I am just so grateful.

I spent time reading through my old journals,
some dating back to the 1986, filled with names of people I had forgotten and situations I had put out of my mind. Some of the lessons, which included experiences I’ve had as bishop, were hard for me to learn, but helped me to understand so much more about the way the church works. I gained wisdom.

In July I told you of my plans to work on a book incorporating my knowledge of family systems theory, practical experience and the Rule of St. Benedict, and incorporating the radical teachings of Jesus into our lives and institutions. The book is coming together. The gift of the sabbatical gave me time to work on that.

I’ve also come to understand that part of my next ministry is about coaching leaders through difficult situations. I learned these skills from the diocese and every other church I was a priest in before. My spiritual director has helped me to see that coaching others, rather than being in front, is part of my next ministry.

The sabbatical was also important to my wife Anne and me. It gave us a preview of retirement. Anne is an extrovert, but I like quiet time. We fell into a rhythm, starting with breakfast together every day. Mornings, we retreated to our personal spaces in the home we have chosen for our retirement in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. She has a studio on the third floor of the house; I have an office on the second floor in the back of the house.  We met for lunch, after which I went on a long 4-5 mile walk around the city. We met for tea later in the afternoon, then a late dinner.

Our children and grandchildren
were able to visit us on the weekends. Anne and I have been unable to do anything on the weekends since I am most often working.  But most people, including our children who are employed in secular jobs, are free on the weekends.

The remodel of our kitchen
was completed the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving. All but one of our children was able to come to Pennsylvania to spend it with us.

It’s too early to say
what the experience of the diocese has meant for me. It has been a wonderful but challenging ministry. I’m someone who gets bored if I don’t have a challenge. As a priest, I knew it was time to go when my parishes were running themselves. I think a lot of people look forward to getting to that place, but not me. I can honestly say that the diocese has never bored me.

The time I was given to be away from the day-to-day work of bishop makes it seem less oppressive upon my return.

To expand, I think it’s important for parishes to understand the importance of consecutive days off, vacation time and retreat time for their clergy. It is also important for clergy to have regular meetings with a spiritual director. Parishes should be willing to send their clergy person to be spiritually refreshed, renewed and to go deeper. In turn, she or he can encourage us to go deeper. How can a spiritual leader teach and encourage spirituality when they’re not working on their own spiritual lives?

I’m grateful I was given the time and space of a sabbatical. I am refreshed and able to offer myself fully to prepare the diocese for the transition to its ninth bishop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment