Thursday, July 19, 2012

On the 77th General Convention and Bishop's Sabbatical


On the 77th General Convention of The Episcopal Church
I returned from General Convention last week with the wonderful feeling that it was without a doubt the best one I’ve ever attended.

I credit the positive atmosphere to the leadership of Katharine Jefferts-Schori, who has set a tone of respect in the Church.

Some of you may have heard that during the convention, the Bishop of South Carolina and most of his deputation left after the legislation on resources for same-sex blessings. In past years, that would have created a ruckus, but at this General Convention, his decision was honored. An invitation to stay in relationship was given, but when it was not successful, we moved on and remained healthy.

I was also impressed to see the growing diversity in the church. We were honored to experience our American Indian participants’ music, sign language, dress and readings in Shoshoni.  We also had liturgies in Spanish, showing us the wide variety of expression in the church. There were guests from Africa as well as Sudanese-Americans gathered together to praise God and worship. 

When we gather as a general convention, we get to see a worldwide Anglicanism that we don’t see in our own dioceses and parishes.

The only other thing I want to say about the General Convention is that with regard to the budget, it was created with a consciousness of the poor, and was developed based upon the Five Marks of Mission.

On Sabbatical
My sabbatical is from September-December 2012, and I’m grateful to reflect where I’ve been and where I’m going.

For me, it will be a time to work on a book, which combines my knowledge of Family Systems Theory, practical experience and the Rule of St. Benedict, and will be about how we need to incorporate the radical teachings of Jesus into our lives and institutions. I’ve chosen the ironic title “To Hell With Jesus, We’re Here For the Music,” because I am a strong believer that we need to move beyond having an experience of God in worship. As I’ve related before, experiences of God are not enough. It goes back to the members vs. disciples argument. If we are to change the world, it is by being disciples, not simply members of an institution.

I also hope the time away will be restorative. I will have more opportunity to spend time with our children and grandchildren. I will be spending time meditating on how to make a good transition from my episcopacy to the new bishop you will elect. I want that to happen in the most healthy and productive way that it can.

Further, I would like to add that I will retain ecclesiastical authority during my sabbatical. If there are important decisions to be made, please feel free to contact the staff, and they will relay those important messages to me while I’m away.

No comments:

Post a Comment